This bill regulates certain contract provisions for dental services.
- defines terms;
- prohibits a dental insurer from setting fees for dental services that are not covered services under dental insurance; and
- applies to dental plans entered into or renewed on or after January 1, 2018.
Utah Code Sections Affected:
31A-22-645, Utah Code Annotated 1953
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the state of Utah:
Section 1. Section 31A-22-645 is enacted to read:
31A-22-645. Dental insurance -- Contract provision for noncovered services.
(1) For purposes of this section:
(2) (a) This section applies to:
- (i) a dental plan that is entered into or renewed on or after January 1, 2018; and
- (ii) an administrator providing third-party administration services or a provider network for a dental plan.
- (b) This section does not apply to a self-insured dental plan that is regulated by federal law.
(3) A contract between a dental plan and a dentist to provide contracted services may not:
(a) require, directly or indirectly, that a dentist provide dental services to a covered individual at a fee set by, or a fee subject to the approval of, the dental plan unless:
- (b) prohibit a dentist from offering or providing noncovered dental services to a covered individual at a fee determined by the dentist and the individual who will receive the